The LeDuc House was the first historical residence donated to the Minnesota Historical Society (MHS). While the donation was made in 1958 (and in 1970 the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places) MHS did not assume full ownership until 1986. In those intervening years the citizens of Hastings realized how important this Civil War mansion was to their local history, and they organized to voice their interest and views on how the building should be used.
With $1,000,000 in bonding funds from the 2002 Minnesota Legislature, MHS was finally able to begin restoration to bring the house up to current building codes. After years of innovative and careful negotiations the Minnesota Historical Society and the City of Hastings reached an agreement for the City to take title to the site when the renovation was completed.
Now open to the public for tours and special events, the LeDuc House is open from May through October with guided tours Thursdays through Sundays.