A fire in March 1871 destroyed much of this block of wooden buildings but by the end of that same year Charles Halden had constructed a one story brick building for a bakery. In 1896 it became the Amberg Bakery and in December 1906 Joseph and Anton Pitz purchased the building. They renamed it Pitz Bros. Bakery and it stayed in the Pitz family for the next forty years, continuing as a bakery until 1969. Since then it has been used for an insurance office, an aquarium/pet store, as the location of the Hastings Chamber of Commerce, the Spiral Food Coop and currently it is the site of Scandinavian Design.
In May 2002 the owners of the then Scandinavian Marketplace hired a Norwegian rosemaling artist to paint a mural on the east brick wall of the structure. This mural depicts the historic Spiral Bridge with a Norwegian landscape in the background. This mural is easily seen from Oliver’s Grove Park which directly abuts this site.