This high towered, Mansard-roofed house was built by George Reed, a local grocer, in 1875. He sold it two years later to Charles Strauss, a jeweler and farmer. It remained in the Strauss family until about 1890. Later it passed into the Steffen family and Kate Steffen ran an antique business out of it.
There are twelve rooms in this home, six on each floor. Two front parlors are separated by a hallway from which a stairway winds to the second floor. The building originally had a brick veneer which has since been covered with stucco. The bracketed roof and tower give this asymmetrical house a touch of elegance. There are several bays and a beautiful front entrance hallway.